Official Thread for Position Eligibility Questions

I’ll ping FG about it this week.

1 Like

Any update on Franchy Cordero getting OF eligibility?

He didn’t play enough games last season; he’ll have to earn OF this season.

Will Shogo Akiyama be given OF eligibility before the season starts?

Yes. The 4 players posted from Japan/Korea (Tsutsugo, Akiyama, Kim, Yamaguchi) will have updated position eligibility tomorrow.

1 Like

Even though OF was the only position he played in both MLB and MiLB and only didn’t meet the games played threshold due to injuries?

Correct.

Is there any chance you would reconsider eligibility for Perez, Cespedes, and Souza considering the season got shortened to 60 games?

The time to gain eligibility spiked from 3% to 8% of the season (assuming the best case scenario of starting the first 5 games).

1 Like

There won’t be any changes to players who were hurt last year having to earn position eligibility again. Many teams have made decisions according to the rules as they currently stand.

1 Like

Just so I understand, players who were injured in the previous season default to UTIL, and have to start 5 games at a position before becoming eligible for that position in our league(s). So for Perez, he’s UTIL until he reaches 5 starts at C, and is the position automatically updated from UTIL to C? Or is that something you have to manually update?

Your understanding is correct. Nothing has to be manually done for Perez once he hits that 5 GS or 10 GP threshold.

1 Like

Thank you for confirming!

1 Like

Seth Romero of the Washington Nationals is not listed as a pitcher right now. Come on Niv, fellow Nats fans can’t let this happen haha.

He really hasn’t pitched very much at all at the professional level. I’ll manually set him to RP.

Crochet is currently a UTIL and not getting credit for his RP innings pitched. Will this be resolved after a certain games pitched threshold?

I actually caught this yesterday and gave him ‘RP’ eligibility. This should have taken hold overnight (around 4am ET).

1 Like

Niv, per your rules changes before the start of the season:

In 2020, players can gain position eligibility, but no player will lose position eligibility for 2021. Going into 2021, position eligibility will be based on 2019 and 2020 games played. Assuming a full 2021 MLB season, going into 2022 position eligibility will be based on 2021 games played.

Do we need to start a list of players that need to have their eligibility adjusted following this season? Following end of season today, I had 11 players (across 2 leagues) lose positional eligibility as they didn’t play enough games to qualify as usually required. I assume this was a result of the usual yearly update taking place. Not sure if you have a way to revert to start of season eligibility while factoring in only this year’s additions…

A handful of mine were prospects, but I’m assuming since there was no minor leagues this year, nearly all prospects were reverted to UTIL designation.

No you don’t need to send along anything. It is expected that position eligibility is not correct right now.

After we finalize stats today, I’ll spin up an end of season thread, you can see last year’s. That will include a proper update of position eligibility among other things. Once that end of season stuff is complete, we can see if there’s anything further that needs adjusting, but I don’t think there will be.

Wondering when positions will be updated for 2021…Asa Lacy is still Utility. Think the Royals have different plans :smiley:

There are a number of such 2020 pitcher draftees who are listed at Util (e.g., Max Meyer, Emerson Hancock). Usually, pitching prospects will pitch in the minors before they reach the majors and will gain SP or RP eligibility then (Crochet was an exception, but Niv manually gave him P eligibility, IIRC). So for the time being, the only (small) issue is that these guys show up in the hitters’ section of the roster organizer. By the time they’ll be pitching in the majors, you’ll be able to slot them in as pitchers.

1 Like