Official Thread for Position Eligibility Questions

Yep, players need to play baseball games to earn eligibility, and due to no minor league baseball in 2020 a lot of prospects are still showing as Util. Lacy and others just have not played any professional baseball and thus don’t have any eligibility yet. Once they play, that will obviously change.

I know Kohei Arihara, but since he is labeled as “Util” instead of a pitcher, does that mean it will take him 5 starts to become pitcher eligible? If so, can he be labeled a RP?

Arihara has had RP manually added to him. This will be reflected on the site tomorrow.

1 Like

I think he is a pitcher in the Mariners organization, but he is listed as a utility player. Is the site wrong, or am I wrong?

Thanks,

It’s just how Ottoneu works. He hasn’t pitched yet as a professional, so he hasn’t earned a position yet. Once he does, he’ll earn pitcher eligibility. It’s like that for all pitchers when they’re initially drafted. And all recently drafted hitters (e.g., Austin Martin) are listed as a Util as well.

got ya, good to know, thanks.

Can a minor league player lose a position eligibility?

Jeter Downs present SS future 2B being the example.

Players do not lose position eligibility in season, but if Downs doesn’t earn SS eligibility in a season, in the following season he will not be SS eligible.

Does anyone know about how an opener works with this league? since both types of pitchers can be started in either category they just need to be in an appropriate role, I’m curious if an opener screws all that up? Apologies, if this isn’t an eligibility question but I posted here before a new thread because I thought its close enough.

An opener will give you points if you slot them in at SP in your lineup, but not if you slot them in at RP. Openers can be fairly valuable in some formats (FGPts/SABR), and not much at all in others (H2H).

1 Like

Hey Niv hope all is well…quick question on these 2 players I drafted last night. Max Meyer SP Marlins and Asa Lacy SP Royals. Both are prospects but listed at a Utility position and not as a SP or RP so it’s not letting me move them to my Pitchers Bench. They are both pitchers but listed under Hitters as a Utility player. Can you fix this? Thanks in advance my friend.

1 Like

Those two haven’t pitched in a professional baseball game yet. They will need to earn SP eligibility. All players by default are Util, but I generally don’t add eligibility to players manually unless they player internationally previously or if they are pitchers called up to the majors in their first pro year (like Garrett Crochet last year, I believe?)

It appears Vidal Brujan has now played in the OF for 20 games in the minors this year. Does it take a day or two for his eligibility to update beyond just 2B/SS?

This is a weird one and I’m only bringing it up in the event that it’s a symptom of an issue with the determination of eligibility based on minor league players…

Nick Gonzales (PIT) is shown as having 2B eligibility for 2021 and 2022. However, 2021 is his first year as a professional and he has only started 13 games at 2B so far (according to both FG and BBRef). My understanding of the rules is that he needs 20 games to qualify, so he should just be UTIL for both 2021 and 2022 until he reaches 20 games at 2B.

In his case, it’s pretty much academic since he’ll eventually get to 20 games played at 2B well before he’s called up. But just wanted to draw attention to it in case it’s representative of some sort of glitch in how MiLB players earn their eligibility. Also possible that there’s some sort of nuance to the eligibility rules for MiLB players that I’m missing.

Here’s his Ottoneu player page showing him as 2B eligible

And here’s his FG player page showing just 13 games played at 2B so far in 2021.

Brujan should have OF as of this morning and Gonzales should not have 2B yet. Appreciate both of you flagging this, it does seem a bit off and I’ll investigate it.

UPDATE Oh man I definitely cheated with Nick Gonzales. He is on my team in league 1 and I gave him 2B manually to test something and I meant to remove it but I forgot. Called out by @walt526 and rightly so!

1 Like

For Brujan, this might be a situation where our minor league fielding data for the previous day loads after the script that updates position eligibility. If he does not have OF tomorrow I will re-investigate.

1 Like

Looks like Vidal Brujan does have OF eligibility today.

1 Like

Love me some minor league position eligibility questions :heart:

Tork now has 3B eligibility for 2022 in the majors even if he ends up playing 1B, correct?

Yep he’ll have 3B eligibility in 2022 regardless of level

1 Like